Every rainy season, low lying areas are exposed to moderate to severe flooding. The damage caused from flooding has far lasting, expensive consequences for homeowners if they are ill-prepared. Fortunately, TTMF is here to help! If you are currently residing in a low lying area, we have compiled 6 simple flood safety tips to help minimise the amount of damage that could be incurred.
- Scan all of your important documents, such as your birth certificate, marriage certificate and passport to your computer, and create a backup copy on a disc. Next, place all of these documents in a zip lock bag and store it on high shelf. For an added level of safety, store your papers in a fireproof box.
- Make sure that everyone in the household knows how to shut off power at the main.
- Keep an emergency supply of sandbags that will help stem the flow of water coming into your home.
- Prepare an emergency kit with 72 hours’ worth of supplies. Prepare a smaller one for your car.
- Form a community action group which meets regularly to discuss evacuation procedures in the case of severe flooding.
- Designate potential schools, churches or halls in the community that can act as shelters and make sure these buildings are properly indicated.
By simply keeping yourself informed of these and other flood safety tips, you and your family will be prepared to weather the storm and remain safe and dry!